Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Little Nicky (2000)


Trailer

2 pitchforks out of 5.

This movie embodies your typical Adam Sandler movie where he pokes fun at mentally challenged individuals. In my mind, Adam Sandler can only make 2 or 3 types of movies....him playing a character that is essentially him poking fun at mentally challenged people is one of his bread and butters...and this toast is tired of being buttered. I felt like I've seen this movie before, and way better done. Watching this movie was a bit like watching local high school football on tv after watching NFL all my life. Yea its still football, but not the same.

I've always felt that within the "Comedic Arena," Mr. Sandler had pretty good range....in my opinion being able to successfully pull off all sorts of characters, from serious and dramatic in Click, Mr. Deeds, and Big Daddy, to some of his other sillier characters, like The Water Boy, Don't Mess with the Zohan, and Happy Gillmore.

Although this movie is 10 years old, I haven't watched it until now...for some reason the movie never drew me enough to make me want to watch it. My gut was right. This movie was pretty bad. Again, thats tough for me to say since I am generally a fan of his.

I was slightly dissapointed to see many of the supporting characters in this movie were the same exact supporting characters in half of his other movies. Not a big deal, but seemed a bit overdone. I quickly looked up the list of movies he's made...and found a trend that made sense to me. In the mid to late 90's he really got into making movies with all those silly characters we got to know and love....the characters that are probably what made him what he is today. Little Nicky was the last of these types of movies. Again, he just went to the well one to many times with this type of character/movie.

Much kudos however goes to Adam Sandler and whoever else is responsible for seeing that this type of comedy was beginning to be way overdone, and it was time to switch gears....because better movies followed after this debacle.

I spared this film the slamming of the 1 of 5 label due to a handful of decent scenes. I am a fan of the Harlem Globetrotter scene, the dog rape scene (call me Mr. Beefy!!!), the talking dog in general, the idea that a gay relationship between a tit head and a sasquatch looking creature could materialize in hell, the general idea that satan could have a family, and that being the prince of darkness was a role that was passed down from generation to generation. I think all of those ideas together had good potential to be a movie....and thats where it probably should have ended.

Overall, I'm glad I didnt watch this crap when it came out, and I figured out at the time a better way to spend my money then to go see this junk.

-Gerard

No comments:

Post a Comment